One of the best things about summer is how local farmers’ markets begin popping up on every corner.
How I love me a good Farmers’ Market.
An easy, quick, light summer meal one can make to sustain the entire family’s appetite is Farmers’ Market Pizza. Almost all of the ingredients for this savory pie can be found among the stalls and vendors of your local farmers’ market.
- Bell Pepper
- Fresh cheese
- Pizza Dough (either homemade or store bought..the one above was purchased for a mere dollar at my local Central Market)
- Any other fresh veggie that looks good at the Market
- Chop all ingredients into small pieces. Because this is a “Farmer’s Market” pizza, I like to make a rough chop and keep pieces slightly chunky.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. Transfer to a baking stone. Bake in a 450 degree preheated oven for three minutes.
- Poke holes in any bubbles that formed during baking, a favorite task of any child who happens to be lingering about.
- Top pizza with ingredients. (I added a bit of cooked sausage to give my family some protein).
- Sprinkle with a touch of Kosher salt and a dab of olive oil. (Anyone else impressed with my exact measurements? And I wonder why I never cook the same thing twice….)
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 11 minutes or until cheese is melted and turning a golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven, cut and serve alongside other farmers’ market finds.
Anyone can create a healthy, beautiful pizza at home. Simply choose fresh ingredients and get a little creative in the kitchen. Skip the sugar-laden pizza sauce in a jar and opt for a large chunk of fresh mozzarella. Forgo the greasy pepperoni and tosh on a few extra organic veggies. The sky is the limit with this pizza…take advantage of summer’s fresh produce and make something delicious and yummy for the family tonight.